Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) Therapy is the utilization of oxygen under pressure to enhance the body’s natural ability to heal. Patients breathe 100% oxygen inside a treatment that is pressurized at 2-3 times greater than atmospheric pressure. The treatment causes an increase in plasma and tissue oxygen, which stimulates angiogenesis and helps to fight infection. HBO can be the primary therapy or it can be used in conjunction with other treatments.
Approved Indications for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Diabetic ulcer of the lower extremities
- Chronic refractory osteomyelitis
- Soft tissue radionecrosis
- Compromised skin grafts and flaps
- Acute traumatic peripheral ischemia
- Crush injuries
- Progressive necrotizing infections (necrotizing fasciitis)
- Arterial insufficiency
When to Call the Wound Care Center
Any patient who has a wound that has not responded to conventional therapy should be referred to the wound care center for further evaluation.
To learn more about RestorixHealth or to find a RestorixHealth Wound Center near you, call 914.372.3150.